Caucasian Shepherd Dog: diseases and their prevention
Immunity in the Caucasian shepherd is usually good. In this, however, there are not only advantages, but also disadvantages. Due to the stamina of the body, the signs of disease in the Caucasian Shepherd do not appear immediately. But when reserves run out and symptoms appear, the disease in Caucasian Shepherds begins to progress rapidly.
In the photo: Caucasian shepherd. Photo: google
There are diseases to which Caucasian Shepherd dogs are more prone to than others:
- Hip dysplasia. Symptoms: fatigue, refusal of active games, unnatural sitting posture, limp, razmet, clubfoot, etc. Diagnosis can be made with an X-ray and consult a veterinarian as soon as possible.
- Infectious diseases (adenoviral hepatitis, plague, leptospirosis). Do not neglect the prevention of these diseases - vaccination.
- Genetic diseases of the Caucasian shepherd. Basically, these are diseases associated with impaired metabolism, for example, allergies or agammaglobulinemia. Before buying a puppy, it is important to make sure that parents have passed tests for genetic diseases.
- Neurosis, epilepsy and convulsions.
- Endocrine diseases: cryptorchidism, diabetes mellitus, dwarfism, obesity.
- Albinism (dermal, ocular or combined).
It is important to remember the prevention of diseases of the Caucasian Shepherd, give the dog anthelmintic drugs on time, treat them against fleas and ticks and vaccinate according to the schedule.
If you notice disturbing changes in the dog’s behavior or well-being (digestive upset, vomiting, fever, limp, lethargy, apathy, etc.), contact your veterinarian as soon as possible.